I thought this was a pretty comprehensive and fun survey to do at the end of the year, and since likely I won’t have finished any more books (save two, probably) by 2014, I figure it was time to fill this out now. Big thanks to Jamie at The Perpetual Page-Turner for hosting this, because it totally saved me time coming up with topics of my own in my sloth-induced holidays XD.
2014 READING STATS
Number of Books Read: 73 (tentative 75)
Number of Re-Reads: 4
Genre Read the Most From: Fantasy
BEST IN BOOKS
1. Best Books Read in 2014
2. Book I was excited about and thought was going to love more but didn’t
3. Most surprising (good or bad) book read in 2014
4. Book I “pushed” people to read (and they did) in 2014
This was a toss-up mostly due to the fact that I tend to squee about books to my friends, and they either pick it up and read them, or have already read and loved them and re-read them due to my squeeing-ness.
5. Best series
Started in 2014:
Best sequel of 2014:
Best ender of 2014:
6. Favorite new author discovered in 2014
7. Best book from genre I don’t typically read or is out of my comfort zone
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of year
9. Book read in 2014 I’m most likely to re-read next year
10. Favorite cover of a book read in 2014
11. Most memorable character of 2014
Karou! This might be due to her blue hair. Or the fact that she’s an artist. Or maybe a human girl whose family includes a beast that sets her off on teeth-questing missions…
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2014
13. Most thought-provoking/life-changing book of 2014
14. Book I can’t believe I waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read
15. Favorite passage/quote from a book read in 2014
“I don’t know many rules to live by,” he’d said. “But here’s one. It’s simple. Don’t put anything unnecessary into yourself. No poisons or chemicals, no fumes or smoke or alcohol, no sharp objects, no inessential needles–drug or tattoo–and…no inessential penises, either.”
“Inessential penises?” Karou had repeated, delighted with the phrase in spite of her grief. “Is there any such thing as an essential one?”
“When an essential one comes along, you’ll know,” he’d replied. “Stop squandering yourself, child. Wait for love.”
16. Shortest and longest book read in 2014
17. Book that shocked me the most
Good surprising, because the cover art kind of made me question the contents of the book. That being said, when I finally read it, I was shocked at how much I actually enjoyed reading Moon Called! It’s truly the gateway drug to what I think is one of my favorite modern fantasy universes.
18. OTP (one true pairing) of the year
MERCY THOMPSON AND ADAM HAUPTMAN
(Mercy Thompson novels by Patricia Briggs)
Lord, the dream-fanfiction being woven in my mind on this pairing can number several shelves…
19. Favorite non-romantic relationship of the year
AANG AND ZUKO
(Avatar: The Last Airbender, The Search novel by Gene Luen Yang)
BESTIES FOR LIFE. I’ve always loved this dynamic in the animated series, and I really loved how their enduring friendship withstood the test of time in this particular graphic novel and the later graphic novels (which I’ve only glimpsed passages of).
20. Favorite book read in 2014 from author I’ve previously read
21. Best book read in 2014 that I read based solely from a peer recommendation
It took my friend sending me a hardcover copy to finally read this little gem. Bless her for doing so.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book read in 2014
Elend Venture! Technically he’d been around since book 1, but I really only started adoring Elend in book 2 of the series.
23. Best 2014 debut read
24. Best worldbuilding/most vivid setting read this year
25. Book that put a smile on my face/most fun to read
26. Book that made me cry or nearly cry in 2014
27. Hidden Gem of the Year
28. Book that crushed my soul
29. Most unique book read in 2014
30. Book that made me the most mad
In a bad, bad way. But my rant can be found elsewhere.
1. New favorite book blog discovered in 2014
2. Favorite review that I wrote in 2014
3. Best discussion/non-review post on my blog
4. Best event that I participated in
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2014
6. Most popular post this year on my blog
7. Post I wish I got a little more love
8. Best bookish discovery.
If only I’d discovered this sooner, I would have gotten so many books by now!
9. Completion of any reading challenges or goals set at beginning of the year?
Finished my Goodreads goal of 50 books read for 2014
1. Book I didn’t get to in 2014 but will be priority in 2015
2. Book I’m most anticipating to read for 2015 (non-debut)
3. 2015 debut I’m most anticipating
4. Series ending/sequel I’m most anticipating in 2015
5. One thing I hope to accomplish in my reading/blogging life in 2015
Finish my 2014 25 Reads project as well as start a new one
6. 2015 release I’ve already read and recommend to everyone
Phew. That took a bit longer than I thought it would, but hey, it got me thinking for the day at least!